Friday, September 19, 2008

Olympics, Washington DC - Baltimore trip, Beverly Hills, Movies and more

Time to say Hi! Those who are visiting this space, and still don't find anything new, Thanks, and do hop in at least once in a month. You might find something new in store! With that said, I am making a conscious effort to keep the blog space going, at least with these one or two posts a month.

Its been a totally totally amazing time and lots of events since my last post. True to its spirit, the 2008 Olympics in China kept the promise of being the greatest show in the planet and no doubt, astounding and outstanding with its scale of magnificence, glamor, participation, logistics. It kept me 'wowed' for a long time. There are two important people, Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt. Phelps, made records of all sorts by winning a cool 8 gold medals, the most by anyone in a single Olympics, and totalling his career gold medals to 14, the most by any participant so far. Bolt, landed up becoming the faster runner in the earth, by breaking the 100m, 200m and 4x100 m relay records. On an improvement note, India ended with 3 medals in the Olympics.Credits to Susheel and Vijendar after Abhinav's gold.

And my long weekend was really cool and went really long - began on Aug 28 and ended on Sept 2, took an extra 2 days off from work. I made my first trip to the east coast of the US. It took a 6 hour flight journey to get over there.I visited my sister's family Baltimore, and visited Washington DC and Virginia. Most important attractions I visited include:
Washington DC - Capitol Building, White House, Eternal flame of Kennedy in Arlington National Cementary, Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, Washington Memorial and its reflecting pool that is close by. Also various other buildings and Smithsonian museums, from the top of our hop on- hop off bus, if seeing them from outside, is counted in. Most importantly, the best part was the Spy Museum is Washington. Its one of its kind, with a really unique experience that a conventional museum wouldn't offer you. If you visit DC, I'd say, don' t miss it, and don't forget to thank me, once you did :-) Also we just took a drive in and around Baltimore and inner harbor area.

Following the long weekend, on the next Saturday, one of my friends had come down to LA from Orange county, a close by (=30 miles) area. We took a crazy drive all around and finally we decided to roam around Beverly Hills. It was a great place, with awesome houses and roads. We then came to Rodeo Drive, the shopping hub of Beverly Hills. This was a revelation to me, I never visited this area in the last 3 months and the designer shops, the crowd and the wow factor just captivated me. Porsche, Ferrari, Benteley, and whatever brands you name it, chances are that you find in and around the streets of Rodeo drive.

On the Movies front, I watched some really cool movies, My Cousin Winnie, being one of them. Its an early 90s comedy movie. If you haven't, I recommend you watch it. On a family/ drama genre, there's another movie August Rush, which you may not want to miss. It's a 2006 release, did fairly well at the Box Office, nevertheless, a movie that will put you in tears towards the end. Its about a 12 year old boy on his quest to find his parents through music - the story is fairy tale ish, but trust me, once you are into, it captivates you till the end.

Coming to Bollywood, I saw these: Singh is Kingg (My Rating: Okay), Rock on (My Rating:Good), A Wednesday (My Rating:Excellent), Aamir (My Rating:Very Good) and in Tamil, these: Jeyamkondan (My Rating:Very Good), Dhaam Dhoom (My Rating:Okay). Out of all these, I'd say don't miss watching "A Wednesday", its simply brilliant. Outstanding. One of the finest ones I've seen in recent days, with its screen pace, razor sharp play and the best of all - A Wednesday has two of the finest theatre actors in India, Naseeruddin Shah and Anupam Kher, as its protagonists.

1 comment:

rvivekshanmugam said...

Hope ur Enjoying~~
Happy New Year dude!